- About Us
- Tours and Events
- Cemetery Map
- Interment Index
- Archive Finding Aid
Association Seeks to fill New Position
Association for the Preservation of
Historic Congressional Cemetery
Congressional Cemetery is a privately chartered cemetery founded in 1807 in Washington, DC for use by the general public. Congress became immediately involved as it acquired significant space to provide burial sites for members who died while in office. We now have over 55,000 people with us. In addition to sites for over 150 members of congress, notables include John Philip Sousa, J. Edgar Hoover, Leonard Matlovich, and Mathew Brady. We have veterans of every war from the American Revolution through Vietnam, including over 600 veterans of the Civil War. Extensive information is available on our website, www.congressionalcemetery.org.
The cemetery is now at a strategic crossroads. We have spent many years turning around the operation. In 1997 we were declared one of the Most Endangered Historic Places in the country by the National Trust for Historic Preservation. By 2009 we were no longer considered to be endangered, however, significant preservation work remains. In 2011, the Department of the Interior designated Congressional Cemetery as a National Historic Landmark. We now need someone to lead the financial development to continue the preservation efforts of the organization.
If our situation is of interest to you, we invite you to read the full detailed description below.
The Association for the Preservation of Historical Congressional Cemetery (APHCC) is seeking a President.
The President will report to the Board of Directors and will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for APHCC. The President will ensure that APHCC’s operations, financial position, fundraising, marketing, human resources and technology are effectively implemented across all segments of the organization. The President will generally dedicate forty percent of their time to development.
APHCC is a 501(c)3 organization dedicated to the preservation of Historical Congressional Cemetery, a National Historic Landmark and burial ground located in the Capitol Hill neighborhood in Washington, DC. APHCC’s multifaceted mission includes preservation and restoration of the monuments, archives, and structures; management of the grounds, gardens, and tree canopy; provision for burial services and site sales; educational programming to enhance the cemetery’s heritage; continuation of open space for the local community; and fundraising to support the various mission related programming.
Strategic Vision and Leadership
• Collaborate with the Board to establish and implement long- and short-term strategic plans that ensure that the budget, staff, and priorities are aligned with APHCC’s core mission
• Provide leadership and direction to the Board and staff to ensure the operation of a professional and efficient organization
• Effective decision-making that will enable APHCC to achieve its long- and short-term goals and objectives
• Cultivate a strong and transparent working relationship with the Board and ensure open communication about finances, fundraising and operations, and performance measurements against mutually agreed upon milestones and goals
• Actively engage and support APHCC volunteers
• Assist in the development of a strong Board of Directors
• Ensure that fundraising efforts permit APHCC to make continuous progress towards the achievement of its mission and that those funds are allocated properly to reflect present needs and future potential
• Formulate and execute comprehensive marketing, branding and development strategies that will ensure consistency throughout the organization in fundraising and enhance revenue from major donors, foundations, government agencies, and corporations
• Expand fundraising activities to support preservation of this national historic site and to meet matching requirements for endowments held by the National Trust for Historic Preservation
• Refine all aspects of communications, from web presence to external relations with the goal of supporting a stronger brand
• Build external presence and relationships to garner new opportunities
Operations and Business Objectives
• Ensure compliance with and implementation of Board policies
• Provide overall administration of the day-to-day affairs of APHCC
• Establish appropriate staffing requirements and development
• Provide regular Board performance reports covering operations, development, and financial position
• Develop and present annual budget
• Ensure that the short and long term working capital and financial management needs of the organization are adequately addressed
• Oversee the annual financial audit process
• Establish effective corporate governance principles for a non-profit organization including internal controls for the protection of reputation and assets
Key Knowledge, Experience, Skills and Abilities
• Knowledge and experience in running a medium sized non-profit, charitable organization
• Knowledge and experience with corporate governance for a non-profit organization
• Knowledge and experience in managing a diverse staff that includes a significant volunteer corps
• Knowledge and experience building and maintaining an effective local, regional and national development program to achieve significant fundraising goals
• Knowledge and experience in historic preservation, preferably related to cemeteries
• Strong oral communications skills and experience with public speaking
• Strong written communication skills
• Knowledge and experience related to property management
• Ability to relate and comfort bereaved individuals
Bachelors or master degree or significant work history, in lieu of degree, in one or more of the following fields:
• Non-profit Business Administration
• Historic Preservation
• Urban Planning
• Landscape Architecture
• Non-profit Development/Fundraising
• Cemetery Management
Base salary of $75,000 with an incentive package based on meeting mission requirements as set out in predetermined performance objectives and metrics, health insurance, four weeks of personal time off and federal holidays
How to Apply
Position will remain open until filled.
Submit a resume and written expression of interest to the APHCC Search Committee
firstname.lastname@example.org , or by mail or fax.
APHCC Search Committee
c/o Rhonda Sincavage
National Trust for Historic Preservation
1785 Massachusetts Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20036
Fax Number: (703) 829-1017
©2013 Historic Congressional Cemetery