- About Us
- Tours and Events
- Cemetery Map
- Interment Index
- Archive Finding Aid
Causten Physical Description
The Causten Vault is located in Range 48-49/Sites 117-124) on the east side of Coombe (slate) Carriage Way across from the Public Vault. The vault sits on a relatively level site. Constructed ca. 1835, the early Classical revival style vault is oriented on an east/west axis.
The vault is comprised of a brick wall to the west with a brick barrel vault that terminates in a groin vault covered with sod to the rear. The brick wall is 14’- 11” wide by 1’- 5” deep, and stands 7’- 4” high. The wall terminates in a pedimented sandstone capstone, 5’- 2” wide at the base, rising 1’- 0” at its highest point. The wall arcs below the capstone to brick piers at the north and south end of the elevation. The arc wall terminates in a sandstone block, which follows the curve of the wall. Each of the piers terminates in a two-step sandstone corner block. A 3’- 0” tall marble cross on a two-step base crowns the capstone.
Entry to the vault is provided by a 4’- 0” high by 2’- 8” wide pitched top flat iron panel door with vent holes in the top. A simple 7½” sandstone surround capped by a sandstone pediment frames the door opening. The name “James H. Causten” is inscribed at the base of the pediment.
Two marble tablets flank the opening.
A brick vault covered by sod is located to the east; areas of bricks and concrete parging are exposed at the east end. The top of the vault is 1’- 6” below the capstone of the entry wall. The vault is 15’- 5” long and 15’- 0” wide. A cast-concrete vent hole, comprised of an 8” square block with a 4” diameter center hole, is exposed at the east end of the vault. Interior access to the vault was not available.
©2014 Historic Congressional Cemetery