Maj. Gen. Thomas Jesup

(b. 16 Dec 1788 - d. 10 Jun 1860) Public Vault
Removed to Oak Hill, 1862

The 12th Quartermaster General of the U.S. Army serving from 1818 to his death in 1860. He was an officer in the infantry and served with distinction in the War of 1812. In 1818 he was temporarily adjutant general of the army and was then appointed Quartermaster General. He is generally considered the father of the modern Quartermaster Corps.

The Evening Star, June 11, 1860
The Funeral of Gen. Jesup
The steamer Powhatan, (Capt. Chas. Mitchell) of the Washington and Aquia Creek route, has been chartered by the War Department to bring from Old Point Comfort eight companies of artillery to attend the funeral of the late Quartermaster General Jesup. The Powhatan leaves at 2 o'clock this p.m. and will probably arrive with the troops about 6 o'clock on Wednesday morning. The Department have under consideration the propriety of ordering additional numbers from the fortifications in New York harbor. It is inferred that the volunteer military of the District will join in the funeral obsequies of the distinguished deceased, although as yet no tender has been made by the commanding officers of the several companies.

The Evening Star, June 12, 1860
Funeral of General Jesup--Extensive Preparations Being Made
Procession to be Very Large and Imposing
The funeral ceremony of the late Brevet Major General Thomas S. Jesup, Quartermaster General of the Army, will take place on the afternoon of Wednesday, at half-past two o'clock p.m. The military escort will be formed in front of the Church of the Epiphany, on G street, between Thirteenth and Fourteenth, (the right resting between Twelfth and Thirteenth streets) at precisely two o'clock. The procession will move in the order stated below at half-past two o'clock--down G street to Fifteenth and down Fifteenth street to Pennsylvania avenue--and thence to the Congressional burying ground. The following arrangements have been made.

Order of Procession 
Funeral escort in column of march:--Battalion of Artillery; Battalion of Marines; Squadron of Cavalry; Company of Light Artillery; Bvt. Maj. General Wool, Commander of the Escort and Staff; Clergy of the City and Surgeon General of the Army; Officiating Clergy and Medical Attendants of the Deceased.

Pall Bearers:--Mayor of Washington (Berret), Colonel Harris; Commodore Smith; Col. Craige; Brevet Brigadier John Garland; Hon. J.W. Stevenson, House of Representatives; Maj. Gen. Weightman; Commodore McCauley; Col. Charles Thomas; Col. Cooper; Brevet Brigadier General Totten; Hon. J.J. Crittenden, Senate.

Relatives and friends of the deceased; General-in-Chief of the Army, and staff; officers of the Army; officers of the Navy and Marine Corps; survivors of the War of 1812; clerks of the Quartermaster General's officer; officers of the Militia; such volunteers under arms as may join the procession; the President of the United States (Buchanan) and members of the Cabinet; the Chief Justice and Associate Justices of the Supreme Court and District Judges of the United States; the President and Secretary of the Senate; Senators and officers of the Senate; Foreign Ministers and suite; members and officers of the House of Representatives; Justices and officers of the Court of Claims; Societies and Fraternities; citizens and strangers.

The usual badge of mourning is to be worn by officers in uniform on the left arm and on the hilt of the sword. The senior Assistant Adjutant General will have charge of the arrangements of the day, assisted by officers of the same department.

The War Department will be closed during the entire day.

We understand that the remains of Gen. Jesup will be taken to the Church of Epiphany in the morning, where appropriate ceremonies will take place. 

The Evening Star, June 14, 1860
Funeral of General Jesup
The ceremonies in honor of the late General Thomas S. Jesup; yesterday afternoon, were of a most impressive and imposing character. At the hour fixed upon the remains were conveyed from the late residence of the deceased, near the corner of Twelfth and F streets, to the Ephiphany Church in G street, where the solemn service of the Episcopal Church was performed. A large number had assembled in the church sometime prior to the arrival of the corpse; among others the President of the United States, who in company with Judge Black, the Hon. Cave Johnson, Secretary Cass, and Secretary Toucey, occupied a position immediately in front of the pulpit, on the inside tier of the aisle on the east side. Seated directly opposite on the inner range of the main aisle, was the towering form of Gen. Winfield Scott, in full dress uniform, who apparently was deeply impressed with the solemnity of the scene.
A few minutes after two, a solemn dirge upon the organ announced the entrance of the procession with the remains. First in order came the Rev. Dr. Hall (rector) and the Rev. Dr. Pyne, who was to pronounce the funeral oration, followed by the Revs. Dr. Parker and Cheever, of Old Point. Just behind these, at the head of the pall-bearers bearing the coffin, was the Mayor of the city, wearing a black scarf. The front of the cortege proceeded to the platform of the church, where the coffin was placed in a central position between the reading desk and the pulpit, the pall-bearers ranging themselves along the front vista. The coffin, which was of mahogany, was covered with black cloth, and lined with white satin. On the lid was a silver plate on which was engraved in a most skillful manner by Mr. Phipps, of this city, the name of the deceased; with the day of his birth, as also of his death. The national flag was neatly folded around the coffin, on the top of which was placed the chapeau, uniform and sword of the illustrious dead. Immediately following the remains was the family and near relatives of the deceased. Francis P. Blair, Esq., with his two sons, Montgomery and the Hon. Frank P., were among the chief mourners, each accompanied by a lady. The mourners being seated on the right, the officers of the Army and Navy took position on the left of the main passage way with Gen. Scott at their head. A large number of the diplomatic corps was also present in a body.
The services were commenced by the chanting of a solemn requiem by the choir. The fomulary of the Episcopal Church usually observed on such occasions, was then gone through with, after which the Rev. Dr. Pyne pronounced an eloquent oration on the memory and character of the distinguished and venerated hero.

The reverend gentleman, after speaking of the high toned and moral character of Gen. Jesup, said it could not be expected that on that occasion he should give even a brief narrative of the events which had rendered the name of their departed friend historical. History told its own story--and oh! what a noble record. He could not refrain, however, from observing how fruitful that great war of 1812 was in men distinguished not merely in military and naval service, but formed by that source for great legislative and administrative qualities. The Mexican war had been followed by that source for great legislative and administrative qualities. The Mexican war had been followed by the same consequence; and indeed, it was interesting to observe, how, as in the case of their departed friend, the ability formed in the one war, but matured sufficient experience to render more efficient aid and counsel in the other.
He was struck with the special attention which had been bestowed in the various obituary notices of Gen. Jesup, upon his administrative abilities; and the thought occurred to him how continually this same administrative faculty had been developed in men who had risen to high military skill. These men were not mere soldiers and sailors, competent to conduct a revolution to honor or defeat; but they were also men wise and resolute in council, able and ready to give advice as well in civil and legislative capacities. He did not wish to be understood as saying, however, that this kind of training necessarily made such men. There must be something in the individual man himself, to be made useful by this or any other profession. But how many men were there of equal natural ability, who passed through the world without making any mark; while no man under this training who had that ability, did not in some form or other mark it.

Nor did he mean to say that this kind of training, in the narrow, professional sense, is necessary to produce such qualities. What he did mean to say was this: That no man was truly qualified to control in human affairs who had not first learned to obey. There were services for subordination. The defined rank, relation, and duty in which every man knew his place by his discharge of the duties in the place he was in, and the relations of place above him, qualified him for that higher degree in which he was to command.

The reverend gentleman then spoke of the deceased having possessed that rare but important qualification of knowing how to govern one's self, and cited instances to show that Gen. Jesup, though naturally of a proud spirit, never failed to admit and apologize for any wrong that he may have done.

Outside the Church 
Outside the church an immense throng of persons were assembled, completely blocking up all available space within the square where the church is situated. In front of the church, occupying the entire square, was drawn up the Artillery from Fortress Monroe, numbering three hundred and seventy-five men, and the U.S. Marines from our own Navy Yard. Conspicuous among the mounted officers, and commanding the escort, was the veteran Brevet Major General Wool, his fine figure and commanding appearance attracting universal and respectful admiration. Immediately behind the hears, his head dropped and his attitude singularly significant of the scene then enacting within the church walls, stood the old war steed of the deceased, his once fine proportions bearing many marks of the disfiguring hands of time and the battle field, and wearing the saddle under which in past years he bore his gallant master o'er the fields of Florida.

The Procession 

The services in the church over, the coffin was borne to the church door, when the order to the military to present arms was given and executed while the remains were being placed in the hearse. The cortege then formed and marched in the following order: 

Order of Procession
General Wool, commanding escort, and Staff

Drum Major

Full band from Fort Monroe, led by Criachetta--dirge

Battalion of Artillery from Fort Monroe in column of companies, and commanded by Col. Dimmick, Major Anderson, and Adjutant Hughes--arms reversed

Regimental colors, draped in mourning

Battalion United States Marines, Maj. Terret commanding, Lieut. Holmes

Full Marine Band, led by Prof. Scala--dirge, Martial music

Drum Major

President's Mounted Guard, Capt. Peck

Battery, with the United States Ordnance Corps from Washington Arsenal, Lieut. Sanders

Coaches containing the officiating clergy, clergy of the District, Surgeon General of the Army, and medical attendants of the deceased

Mayor of Washington (Berret)
Maj. Gen. Weightman
Colonel Harris
Commodore McCauley
Commodore Smith
Colonel Charles Thomas
Colonel Craig
Colonel Cooper
Bvt. Brig. Gen. Garland
Bvt. Brig. Gen. Totten
Hon. J.W. Stevenson
Hon. J.J. Crittenden

The Hearse  

Horse, with military trappings, led by grooms

Relatives, servants, and friends of the deceased

Lieut. General Winfield Scott, and Staff

The General Staff of the Army

Officers of the Army

Officers of the Navy and Marine Corps

Survivors of the War of 1812

Clerks of the Quartermaster General's Office

Volunteer Corps of the District Militia, in the following order:
National Rifles, Capt. Schaeffer
Martial music
Company A, National Guards, Lieut. Bishop commanding
Battalion Washington Light Infantry, Maj. Davis, Capt. Tucker
Withers' Brass Band
Alexandria Rifles, Alexandria, Va.

The President of the United States (Buchanan) and Members of the Cabinet

The Chief Justice and Associate Justices of the Supreme Court and District Judges of the United States

The President and Secretary of the Senate, Senators, and Officers of the Senate

Foreign Ministers and Suites

Members and Officers of the House of Representatives

Justice and Officers of the Court of Claims

Societies and Fraternities

Citizens and Strangers 

As the procession moved down Pennsylvania avenue, the pavement on either side was crowded with spectators, from the State Department to the Capitol.

At the Cemetery 
Arriving at the Congressional Cemetery, the remains were deposited in the vault, with impressive ceremonies by the officiating clergy. The artillery from Fort Monroe, with the U.S. Marines, were then drawn up in line on the street facing the burying ground, and three volleys of musketry were fired, in accordance with military usage.

Incidents of the Funeral 

Three of the men of the artillery battalion were taken ill suddenly, yesterday, while standing awaiting the corpse at the church, and were taken into a house near by and medical assistance obtained. They had been drinking too freely of ice water which was given them while overheated. They were placed in a hack and sent to their quarters at the Arsenal. The artillery battalion composed of strong, stout young men, though the uniform, however comfortable it may be, did not add much to their appearance. Quite a number of the men have recently returned from service on the frontiers.

A lad some fifteen years old, who was standing inside the church yard, was suddenly overcome by the heat and fell down in a frightful fit, which lasted for some time. He was well cared for by persons standing near the spot.

Smoking on Duty 

A great many persons in the crowd yesterday noticed and commented upon the appearance of a squad of police in front of the procession with cigars in their mouths, which they puffed away almost under the nose of General Wool and his staff. They were in the right place no doubt, but the cigars were not; the latter should have been kept out of sight on such an occasion for the sake of common decency.

| Bookmark and Share